Blueberry Pie!

Today I made my very first blueberry pie!  kevin bought blueberries and he forgot to get tarts so I said don't worry about it, I want to try to make my own pie crust.  I must say I was nervous that it woudn't turn out but man it turned out awesome!

I prepared the crust 2 days ago, I wasn't sure exactly when i would make the pie, I just knew it would be closer to the weekend.  Making the dough for the pie crust made me nervous.  I followed the directions but it just didn't seem like it was coming together very well.  I just kept at it and smushed in a ball as best as I could, rapped it up and let it set in the fridge like the directions said.

I decided to go ahead and make the pie today and I took the dough out of the fridge and started to roll it out.  It was might hard to roll but once it warmed up a bit it went easier.  I was amazed that it wasn't cracking and falling apart like it was 2 days ago.  I rolled out bigger than my pie plate and put it in...super easy!  I made the filling next and then went on to roll my second ball of dough out for the top of the crust...again super easy...feeling really good about this pie now.  I felt so good that when i had the top on I took it off and used a star cookie cutter and cut shapes out...super crafty lol!

Once that was all done I egg washed the top, sprinkled with sugar and put it in the oven.  It smelt so good, looked awesome and came out amazing...and dam it tasted good!  I gave my hubby a peice and he literally ate it in 5 seconds...ok...maybe 5.5 cause he had to stop and tell me it was good lol!

Here's the recipe for Blueberry Pie

Ingredients for Pie Crust:

3 1/2 cups all purpose flour, sifted
1 cup unsalted butter
5 tablespoons ice cold water
2 egg yolks
2 tablespoons lemon juice
optional - 3 tablespoons sugar for sweeter dough

Prep:

Use a stand mixer or a food processor to mix the dough.

Pour water into a measuring cup and add egg yolks and lemon juice. Beat with a fork. Add salt and sugar, if using. Drop in an ice cube to chill the mixture while you prep your flour.

Sift flour into the bowl of a stand mixer and add butter cubes. Use the paddle attachment and beat for about a minute until butter and flour are partially smeared together. It’s okay to have some lumps.


With the mixer on ‘Stir’, slowly drizzle the egg and water liquid into the flour and butter. Mix for another 60 seconds until the dough starts to come together. Stop the mixer, remove paddle, and using your hands, gather the dough together into a ball.

Remove pie dough from mixing bowl and place on a lightly floured counter. Divide dough into two and flatten each piece slightly. Wrap each disc tightly in plastic wrap. Don’t worry if dough is slightly crumbly, it will come together in the chilling process.

Chill dough for at least four hours and overnight if possible. Your pie dough is now ready to be used!

Dough discs may be frozen for up to five weeks.








Filling:

6 cups fresh blueberries
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 all purpose flour
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Top of Pie:

1 egg
2 teaspoons sugar


Prep:
 
 In large bowl, combine blueberries, sugar, flour, lemon zest and lemon juice; set aside.

On lightly floured surface, roll out half of the pastry to generous 1/8-inch (3 mm) thickness; fit into 9-inch (23 cm) pie plate. Trim to leave 3/4-inch (2 cm) overhang. Poor in filling

Roll out remaining pastry. Whisk egg yolk with 2 tsp water; brush some over pastry rim. Fit pastry over filling; trim to leave 3/4-inch (2 cm) overhang. Fold overhang under bottom pastry rim; seal and flute edge. Brush top with remaining egg wash; sprinkle with sugar. Cut steam vents in top.

Bake on baking sheet in bottom third of 425°F oven for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°F bake until bottom is golden and filling is bubbly, 40 to 50 minutes. Let cool on rack.

Serve and enjoy with icecream!!!

  •  






  •  * Just a note, make sure your pie crust is thinner than what you see here.  This was my first one and it was a bit too thick, it should be nice and thin....it was still yummy though :) *

0 comments:

Post a Comment